Recipe: Grilled Lemongrass Steak with Asian Coleslaw
Pair this delicious summertime sandwich with a glass of Sangiovese
Grilled Lemongrass Steak
- 2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh minced lemongrass (45 mL)
- 4 tbsp fish sauce (60 mL)
- 2 tbsp honey (30 mL)
- 1 red Thai chili, finely minced
- 16 oz sirloin steak, cut 2 inches (5 cm) thick. Choose a high quality steak with lots of marbling.
- 1 ACE Bakery white baguette
Spicy Garlic Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (120 mL)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha (15 mL) (increase or decrease based on your desire of spiciness)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (15 mL)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce (45 mL)
- 3 tbsp white distilled vinegar (45 mL)
- 2 tbsp sugar (30 mL)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped in 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths (120 mL)
- 1 red Thai chili thinly sliced (increase or decrease based on your desire of spiciness)
- 3 cup shredded green cabbage (720 mL)
- 1 cup peeled shredded carrot (240 mL)
- 1 small Vidalia onion, thinly sliced to make 1/2 cup (120 mL)
Pair with your favorite:Sangiovese |
Grilled Lemongrass Steak with Asian Coleslaw and Spicy Garlic Aioli on ACE Bakery White Baguette
Makes 4 sandwiches
Grand winner for Canada's Best Sandwich contest, Thuy Nguyen Crawford of Burlington, ON, says: "I developed this recipe as a result of our long evenings at my eldest son's baseball games. Family dinners together are very important, and I didn't want our long evenings to keep us from eating well together. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does." Extra aioli will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For the Asian Coleslaw:
The coleslaw should be made at least 4 hours (or overnight) before you are ready to assemble the sandwich. You can make extra to serve as a side salad, or keep it overnight in the refrigerator.
Mix the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and garlic together until the sugar is dissolved. Combine the remaining ingredients together and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette over the coleslaw mixture and toss.
For the Spicy Garlic Aioli:
Mix all the ingredients together well.
For the Steak:
In a container large enough to hold the steak, mix the garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce, honey and chili. Roll the steak in the marinade and marinate for at least 3 to 4 hours (or overnight) in the refrigerator. Preheat barbecue or grill pan so that it is hot.
Grill the steak to your desired doneness, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes.
Cut the baguette into 4 equal portions. Slice the baguette pieces lengthwise, but not all the way through, and grill for about 1 minute until toasted. Slice the steak 1/8 to 1/4 inch (0.3 to 0.6 cm) thick, against the grain.
Spread the Spicy Garlic Aioli on both top and bottom sides of the baguette portions. Layer the sliced steak on and then top with the Asian Coleslaw.
Recipe and photo by ACE Bakery.