Recipe: Lentil Gazpacho
Gluten- and dairy-free chilled soup for summer barbecues
- 1/2 cup red lentils (washed, picked over)
- 500 ml cold water
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 large cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, grated
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp jalepeño pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly roasted
Cook the red lentils with 375ml of water either for 8 minutes in a pressure cooker or boil on the stove top for about 20-25 minutes until the lentils are really soft. Skim off any foam as it cooks on the stove.
Put all the other ingredients and the remaining 125 ml water (except the cumin seeds), together with the cooked lentils into a food processor and blend until fairly smooth.
Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Serve cold with a few cumin seeds garnished on top.
Recipe from Spice Sanctuary