Recipe: Winter Vegetable and Bean Soup with Pesto
Serve this hearty, healthy winter vegetable soup with fresh bread and a bottle of pinot grigio
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 large leeks, chopped, white and pale green parts only
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 6-oz white-skinned potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp water
- 8 cup canned vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 15-oz can cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp dried, crushed red pepper
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutea
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Winter Vegetable and Bean Soup with Pesto Cooking Directions
Puree all ingredients in processor. Season with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large pot. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil.
Stir in orzo; boil uncovered until orzo is almost tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
Add green beans; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in cannellini and crushed pepper; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Divide pesto among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over pesto; swirl to blend. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.